[NetBehaviour] Launching Interface: a journal for and about social movements.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Mar 26 17:36:01 CET 2008

*Launching **/Interface: /*
*/a journal for and about social movements/*

We are proud to announce the launch of Interface, a new global online
journal dedicated to research carried out from and for social movements
by movement practitioners and engaged academics alike. We are looking
for articles of all kinds as well as people interested in helping create
the journal at many different levels. This email has some basic
information, and more is available on our website at
www.interfacejournal.net.

Call for Papers: Issue 1, "Movement knowledge"

Interface is a new journal launched by activists and academics around
the world in response to the development and increased visibility of
social movements in the last few years - and the immense amount of
knowledge generated in this process. This knowledge is created across
the globe, and in many contexts and a variety of ways, and it
constitutes an incredibly valuable resource for the further development
of social movements. Interface responds to this need, as a tool to help
our movements learn from each other's struggles.

Interface is a forum bringing together activists from different
movements and different countries, researchers working with movements,
and progressive academics from various countries to contribute to the
production of knowledge that can help us gain insights across movements
and issues, across continents and cultures, and across theoretical and
disciplinary traditions. To this end, Interface seeks to develop
analysis and knowledge that allow lessons to be learned from specific
movement processes and experiences and translated into a form useful for
other movements. In doing so, our goal is to include material that can
be used in a range of ways by movements in terms of its content, its
language, its purpose and its form.

We are currently seeking contributions to the first issue of Interface
and welcome contributions by movement participants and academics who are
developing movement-relevant theory and research. The theme of this
first issue, which will be published on January 1st 2009, is "movement
knowledge": what we know, how we create knowledge, what we do with it
and how it can make a difference either in movement struggles or in
creating a different and better world. We invite both formal research
(qualitative and quantitative) and practically-grounded work on all
aspects of social movements. We are seeking work in a range of different
formats, such as conventional articles, review essays, facilitated
discussions and interviews, action notes, teaching notes, key documents
and analysis, book reviews and beyond.

In order to achieve this, research contributions will be reviewed by
both activist and academic peers, other material will be sympathetically
edited, and the editorial process generally will be geared towards
assisting authors to find ways of expressing their understanding, so
that we all can be heard across geographical, social and political
distances. The deadline for contributions for the first issue is
September 1st 2008. Guidelines for contributors and contact details are
available on our webpage at www.interfacejournal.net.

- - -
Dept. of Sociology, St. Anne's building,
NUI Maynooth, Co. Kildare
Tel. (+353-1) 708 3985
http://www.iol.ie/~mazzoldi/toolsforchange/