[NetBehaviour] World War II Escape Maps.

info info at furtherfield.org
Thu Nov 20 11:52:46 CET 2008

World War II Escape Maps.

Jonathan Crowe.

Over the past few months there has been some discussion on MapHist about
“escape maps” — maps handed out to Allied pilots and air crews during
World War II, printed on fabric (cloth, silk or rayon) and intended to
be hid on their person in case of capture, to aid in their escape. The
idea sounded fascinating; I made a mental note for a future post.

This morning, Sean Gillies posted photos of his grandfather’s escape
maps. “Yesterday, I received in the mail my grandfather’s cloth escape
maps of France, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany. He flew a
Piper Cub for the US Army, mainly shuttling brass between England and
France. Never used, the maps went from a pocket in his jacket to an
envelope in a foot locker; they’re in great condition.”

As it turns out, there are actually (at least) two Web sites about WWII
escape maps; each has a collection of scans. U.S. Cloth Maps of World
War II is less comprehensive than WWII Escape Maps; the latter includes
maps from American, British and Australian services.

http://www.mcwetboy.net/maproom/2008/11/world_war_ii_es.php