[NetBehaviour] Scientists add emotions to robotic hea

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Nov 24 17:29:29 CET 2008

Hi Simon,

Just before you sent this - I was reading this article regarding Stelarc...

"Australian artist Stelarc refers to himself as a 'post-human engineer'
also used the human body in his work. His work was a lot more
technologically focused than Orlan's - which was largly cosmetic.
Stelarc was highly concerned about our physical relationship with modern
technology - he thought that perhaps technology is moving too fast and
we are getting left behind. To Stelarc, machines are becoming more
useful than we are, and are beginning to possess better capabilities, to
which we are able to compare. Stelarc's projects mean that his body
movements have become involuntary, and he no longer has control over
what movements his body makes. Stelarc's reinvention of the body for
what he refers to as 'post plannatory environments' - a Matrix - like
idea - show that he believes that our natural form is simply not enough
to survive on 'Planet one' in the future, as technology is advancing at
such high-speed. Stelarc does not refer to his body as his own - this
distansiation with his own body could distinguish him as a Christian
artist (independance of soul) - However Stelac strongly denies this
claim. Stelarc states that his overall aim is for humans to have the
ability to live without a physical form. He sees the body as a support
mechanism for conciousness, and is not necessarily needed for human
survival. He believes that conciousness can be captured in a
technological form / platform, which would remove us from our current
physical restraints."

http://louise-ruddick.blog.co.uk/2008/01/14/the_post_human_technological~3578168