[NetBehaviour] How Biology and Technology Shape Sex and War.

info info at furtherfield.org
Tue Nov 25 14:48:42 CET 2008

How Biology and Technology Shape Sex and War.

By Alexis Madrigal.

Humans and chimps, our closest relatives, share a curious trait: We
organize to kill members of our own species.

A new book, Sex and War, delves into how the most intelligent apes on
Earth, essentially alone in the animal kingdom, evolved the ability to
organize for extreme violence.

UC Berkeley obstetrician, Malcolm Potts and science writer Thomas Hayden
take a wide-ranging look at the many places that biology intersects with
war. But the most fascinating parts of the book look at how modern
technology has interacted with our Stone Age brains' risk calculators to
produce the brutality and aggression of the world today.

In this Wired.com interview with Hayden and Potts, they talk about the
evolutionary adaptation that allows us to kill our enemies, how chimps
and bonobos inform our knowledge of human nature, and why the most
destructive weapon might be a hormone, not a bomb.

more...
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/11/qa-how-biology.html