[NetBehaviour] Spire Reloaded: Patrick Lichty

Patrick Lichty voyd at voyd.com
Thu Oct 2 21:27:06 CEST 2008

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/fallarts08/art/antena/

riday, October 10, 2008 - 6:00pm - Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 5:00pm
Spire Reloaded: Patrick Lichty

Opening Friday October 10, 2008 from 6pm-10pm
october 10 - november 8

Also come to a special art opening online at www.secondlife.com in the "I AM
COLUMBIA" island showcasing one of Patrick's virtual sculptures. Check web
site for details.
"For a long time, I have been fascinated with "obsolete spaces", or places
that have fallen into disuse or been destroyed for the same reason. This
includes the Hulett Ore Loaders near Cleveland, the Adak Naval base in
Alaska, and now the recently dismantled Berwyn Spire. These represent the
loss of certain parts of American identity in a society that is obsessed
with the "new".

For this series, I documented the piece in the last year of its existence,
and also made an interpretation of it in the 3D online world, Second Life. I
did this as I feel that the Spire only exists in memory and our cultural
databanks now, and I felt that by having a virtual version to contrast with
the actual one was a fitting tribute to this iconic piece of Americana."