[NetBehaviour] Coleen Rowley's Memo to FBI Director Robert Mueller

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Oct 8 11:53:12 CEST 2008

Coleen Rowley's Memo to FBI Director Robert Mueller
An edited version of the agent's 13-page letter

May 21, 2002

FBI Director Robert Mueller
FBI Headquarters Washington, D.C.

Dear Director Mueller:

I feel at this point that I have to put my concerns in writing
concerning the important topic of the FBI's response to evidence of
terrorist activity in the United States prior to September 11th. The
issues are fundamentally ones of INTEGRITY and go to the heart of the
FBI's law enforcement mission and mandate. Moreover, at this critical
juncture in fashioning future policy to promote the most effective
handling of ongoing and future threats to United States citizens'
security, it is of absolute importance that an unbiased, completely
accurate picture emerge of the FBI's current investigative and
management strengths and failures.

To get to the point, I have deep concerns that a delicate and subtle
shading/skewing of facts by you and others at the highest levels of FBI
management has occurred and is occurring. The term "cover up" would be
too strong a characterization which is why I am attempting to carefully
(and perhaps over laboriously) choose my words here. I base my concerns
on my relatively small, peripheral but unique role in the Moussaoui
investigation in the Minneapolis Division prior to, during and after
September 11th and my analysis of the comments I have heard both inside
the FBI (originating, I believe, from you and other high levels of
management) as well as your Congressional testimony and public comments.

I feel that certain facts, including the following, have, up to now,
been omitted, downplayed, glossed over and/or mis-characterized in an
effort to avoid or minimize personal and/or institutional embarrassment
on the part of the FBI and/or perhaps even for improper political reasons:

1) The Minneapolis agents who responded to the call about Moussaoui's
flight training identified him as a terrorist threat from a very early
point. The decision to take him into custody on August 15, 2001, on the
INS "overstay" charge was a deliberate one to counter that threat and
was based on the agents' reasonable suspicions. While it can be said
that Moussaoui's overstay status was fortuitous, because it allowed for
him to be taken into immediate custody and prevented him receiving any
more flight training, it was certainly not something the INS
coincidentally undertook of their own volition. I base this on the
conversation I had when the agents called me at home late on the evening
Moussaoui was taken into custody to confer and ask for legal advice
about their next course of action. The INS agent was assigned to the
FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force and was therefore working in tandem
with FBI agents.

more...
http://www.apfn.org/APFN/WTC_whistleblower1.htm