[NetBehaviour] Is Fair Use decided by who has the most money?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sat Oct 11 17:54:00 CEST 2008

bob catchpole wrote:
>>From that stance Fair Use = Fair Abuse.

Don't abuse my argument. ;-)

If we decide that Fair Use can only apply where the rights holder for
the original work does not object to the use of it then we destroy Fair
Use and legitimize an expansive and insidious form of censorship.

Moral rights and other rights apply regardless of Fair Use and can be
used stop any actual "abuse" of the work.

> Thing is, most people don't regard abuse as acceptable... are they wrong?

They are answering the wrong question.

Ask people if anyone should be allowed to "abuse" another person's work,
whatever that means, and I'd be amazed if anyone says yes.

Ask them if other people should be allowed to stop them making their own
work, or have it destroyed, just because it offends the other person's
ego or they don't like you, and I think you'll get a different response.

- Rob.