[NetBehaviour] HYBRIDS - Trondheim Matchmaking 2008

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Oct 14 02:27:32 CEST 2008

Trondheim Electronic Arts Centre [http://teks.no] presents:

HYBRIDS - Trondheim Matchmaking 2008,
festival for art and technology. Oct. 17 & 18.

Festival for art and technology.
Arranged by TEKS - Trondheim Electronic Arts Centre since 2002.

The festival is a meeting point for presenting innovative ideas and
projects, a place to preserve and develop competence and resources, as
well as building interdisciplinary relations within the fields of art
and technology.

http://matchmaking.no
Location: Trondheim, Norway

A species can be defined as “a population or group of populations whose
members have the potential to interbreed with one another in nature to
produce viable, fertile offspring, but who cannot successfully
interbreed with members of other species”.

 From medieval mythologies we are familiar with hybrid creatures like
the Centaur and the Griffon. The creation of these fantasy beings denies
in itself the very existence of species as we define the term today. The
tendency to try to abolish the species´s and our body´s limitations
seems to be a recurring theme with mankind.

This years conference highlights among other things how knowledge from
new research and insight radically can happen to change human biology
and self understanding, and how art practise both becomes influenced by
this development, as well as being able to influence the same.

The conference keynote speaker is researcher and artist Roy Ascott (UK),
pioneer within interactive computer art in the 60´s and later telematic
art. Ascott is founder of the Planetary Collegium, he is a professor at
Technoetic Arts at the University of Plymouth in addition to several
other positions and appointments.
Ascott is today one of our most innovative theorists regarding our
virtual present and future.

Further at the festival you will among others be able to experience
speakers and exhibitors as moderator Laura Beloff (FIN), Natasha
Vita-More (US), Margarete Jahrmann (AUS), Eva Sutton (US), Victoria
Vesna (US), Marta De Menezes (P), Eric Singer (US), Amy Youngs (US),
Peter Flemming (CAN) and George Gessert (US).

This year´s festival concerts includes names as ALEPH (N), BOL (N),
LEMUR & ADAM MATTA (US), PIERRE BASTIEN (NL), INCITE/ (D) and XPLODING
PLASTIX (N)!

The conference and concerts takes place at Dokkhuset, Trondheim, Oct. 17
& 18.

The exhibition HYBRIDS opens Friday the 17th of Oct. at Trøndelag Centre
for Contemporary Art.

Espen Gangvik
Project manager and curator
TEKS