[NetBehaviour] pure:dyne discussion

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sun Oct 19 15:36:21 CEST 2008

Hi Bob, Heather, Aymeric & all,

I think that Bob has raised one of the most important questions that
many artists ask themselves in respect of using technology as part of
their art, and those who are interested in exploring it further
themselves as a contemporary practice. This question can also be
extended to those who wish to curate it and critique it as well, not
forgetting audiences.

So my next question is, Rob's question ;-)

"Art forms have their technical aspects. Artists are forever learning,
playing, working and experimenting with the technology at their
disposal. Tools for the job. Means and ends. Artists are largely
focused on the latter; the ability to use the tools is presumed."

"However when it comes to digital/new media/net art, discussion of the
technical aspects still seems to predominate. Do you think that's in
the nature of the technology? Or will there come a time when 'new
media' artists won't have to talk like Formula 1 engineers?"

marc