[NetBehaviour] pure:dyne discussion

aymeric mansoux aymeric at goto10.org
Thu Oct 23 15:19:01 CEST 2008

Hi James,

james jwm-art net said :
> I'm curious about how pure:dyne might compare to other multimedia
> distributions. I have always gone back to Debian (stable) as my main OS,
> but have tried 64studio...  and another, can't remember it's name, it
> used fluxbox as it's desktop but the distro died, but the desktop was
> fast and it all worked from go.

maybe it was demudi?

We used fluxbox in the very early pure:dyne iterations, but we quickly
realised that during workshops we really need something that provides as
much graphical helpers as possible. XFCE is good for that, it's very
light and fast on modest machines and has a complete desktop.  Also,
even though fluxbox is really good, it's one of these desktop that is
not minimal enough to provide a barebone wm, and it's too minimal to
provide a user experience similar to what is available in typical
desktop based wm.

Concerning Debian, I can't recall if I mentionned it previously, our
goal is also not to leave our packages in a nich repository, the mid
term plan for the pure:dyne team is to start moving as much things as
possible in Debian itself, so it will benefit to an even wider
audience.

> Does pure:dyne come in 64bit flavour? (and any chance of ordering a
> live/install DVD btw?)

pure:dyne is 32bit only at the moment, which of course works perfectly
fine on 64bit CPU. We'll start exploring 64bit when we consider the live
system and the environment that produces it, are stable enough and well
documented.

We are also in discussion with 64studio, who contacted us a while ago,
to start to think about long term collaboration.

There are no CD/DVD available to order, it's only available as direct
downloads or torrents.
http://code.goto10.org/projects/puredyne/wiki/GetPureDyne

But, the next milestone, leek and potato, will be available as liveUSB
keys that we will sell, we're still trying to figure out how to do that
with as little extra cost added to make it cheap, but sustainable. For
those in London tonight, you'll be able to get one or see it in action.

> >Of course there are important variations within this field as well. For
> >example an artist who can program might build an imaginary based on a
> >very badly programmed, but creative software art, or an artistic
> >interpretation of technology that would sound like pseudoscience. At the
> >other extreme, a programer making art will have the tendency to focus
> >much more be in the technical process and the manifestations of this
> >underlying mechanics would be treated as side effects or illustrations
> >of these.
>
> I found this quite interesting. If neither programming nor art is earning
> one a living, how can one tell if they're a programmer making art or an
> artist writing code? Hang on, there's a clue at the end of the
> paragraph... Yes I agree there, with the illustrations analogy.

I think the issue with software art is that it is interdisciplinary,
which is, at the same time, its greatest quality, but also its curse. It
is still too often that today software artists are left in a
academe/institutional limbo because they are either considered too geeky
or too arty depending the point of view of the single discipline that
examines it. But I think is a general problem for any
(multi|cross|trans|inter)disciplinary practice and research :)

a.