[NetBehaviour] next few days

Aileen Derieg a.derieg at eliot.at
Mon Apr 6 11:32:19 CEST 2009

Hi Alan and Marc,

To both of your messages, I would say yes and no. I've had cataract
surgery in both eyes, subsequent laser surgery so far only in one -
all before I was 50. Yes, it is minor surgery, meanwhile regarded
almost as "normal" - at least for "old people". There is a great deal
of reassuring information to be found on the Internet, but in the
course of reading it, I became more and more infuriated by the way an
image of "old people" is constructed in this kind of information. For
me, it was by no means helpful to be almost condenscendingly assured
that I would be able to return to my usual activities soon after
surgery - like gardening, baking, knitting ...

I am a text person, I live in front of the computer, I read -
constantly, always, even in my dreams. That is how I earn my living,
that is what I do for recreation. I used to be very good at
proofreading for publication, reading diagonally from bottom right to
top left to catch spelling errors, incorrect punctuation, etc., and it
was something I especially enjoyed. After the first cataract
operation, this kind of work invariably gave me blinding headaches, so
I kept going back to the eye doctor to complain that something was
wrong. Finally he asked me to describe exactly what I was doing that
strained my eyes, then he shook his head and told me plainly, that
won't work. He explained that an artificial lens can never be as
flexible as a natural lens, so that kind of eye movement will
inevitably be painful.

A kind friend pointed out to me after the first operation that it's
not absolutely necessary to read diagonally, but I've done it so long,
I couldn't even remember how to read slowly. It was like having to
learn to read all over again, and I found it frustrating and
infuriating. I know that I am fortunate to be living now, when only a
generation or so ago, I would simply have been blind and unable to
work at all, but for me, cataract surgery *is* a limitation and a
handicap - and all the reassurance I have heard and read only seems to
reinforce this infuriating image of a whining "old woman", and
everyone knows that "old women" need not be taken seriously.

Alan, please take the recovery time seriously. I didn't the first
time, and ended up with a very painful inflamation. After the second
operation I spent the summer in a hammock on the balcony listening to
podcasts that kind people sent me links to. If you are interested, I
collected those here: http://delicious.com/aderieg/ltl
"Learning to listen": it wasn't ideal, as my visual memory is much
stronger than my aural memory, but it was a reasonable compromise.

I hope this is not wholly irrelevant to this list, but reading these
messages I felt compelled to protest again, because I still live with
all the anger and impatience that stems from having my vision so
limited - and I hope there are people on this list who will understand
that those limitations are not trivial, no matter how commonplace the
surgery is, because not everyone with cataracts just wants to return
to gardening, baking, knitting ...

All the best,
Aileen

In so many words: http://eliot.at