[NetBehaviour] On the hurricane of the G-20...

Olga olga.panades at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 17:25:59 CEST 2009

I met a friend last Tuesday that told me that Liverpool Street seemed
to be preparing for a hurricane, that the buildings had their windows
shot and protected with wooden panels. And yes, the media was also
preparing us for a hurricane, so much that the hurricane almost didn't
come.

I went down to Bank on Wednesday and played the game of trying to
break the police barrier. It all felt so symbolic and useless.

I am particularly interested in the manufacture of fear as a mode of
control. The UK authorities master the technique and they used it once
again this time. They spread the hype of a really dangerous wave of
protests, they deployed an army of policemen and in the finally, to
me, it all felt so little...

I just read this post at K-punk
http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/2009_04.html, and thought
it was weird that we haven't discussed anything here in
Netbehaviour... Not only the hurricane almost doesn't come, but it
leaves almost no traces.. In the post M. Fisher argues that is time to
move on, that these protests lead nowhere. I agree. However, even if
there is no response from the governments, there is something about
camping on the streets that I still find worth it. It's a day of
deviation, of using the street in a completely different way... and
even if it's just for the feeling that this gives you I think it is
still something.