[NetBehaviour] On the hurricane of the G-20...

Ruth Catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Tue Apr 7 18:27:23 CEST 2009

hiya,

Thanks Olga for bringing this up. I'm sometimes made uncomfortable by
the subsitution ofprotest by carnival however anything that makes public
and social space strange, like camping on the streets or combatting
police aggression with clownish antics (a personal favourite Clandestine
Insurgent Rebel Clown Army http://www.clownarmy.org/about/about.html) is
worthwhile because it gives us a glimpse of an alternative ordering of
the world.

Also, I know it's a bit tangental but has anyone noticed how climate
change protesters seem to be being singled out for especially rough
treatment from the police (and so, I assume, the government)?

A couple of young people were allowed to smash the only unprotected bank
windows in the city, those of RBS, (or is that an urban myth?) in front
of a cagillion people with cameras. And yet the Independent reported how
a group of peaceful climate-change protesters were cordoned off and
detained in a small area, bullied and held there for hours by police who
had their identity numbers obscured and were therefore personally
unaccountable. I remember reports of the same kind of disproportional
police response to Kingsnorth protesters last summer.

Thoughts?

best things
Ruth