[NetBehaviour] We won't fly for art : Take the Pledge

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Apr 15 13:20:19 CEST 2009

Hi Pall,

 > Being stuck on an island in the middle of the North Atlantic makes
 > this one a bit tough for me too.

Yes, of course - things probably need to be measured out in a conscious
way, it is a matter of balance rather than an absolute.

Some of the furtherfield crew disagreed with us, and suggested that we
did not make it a furtherfield project, and we respectfully honoured
this request; and decided to make it a project set up by Ruth and myself
instead, which is fair enough.

relevant, highlighting how difficult such a request is.

In an interview with Art is Open Source, discussing about the economic
crisis, climate change and neoliberalism. I said " I was impressed by
Gustav Metzger’s recent project ‘Reduce Art Flights’. A campaign
challenging the art world to stop contributing to global warming by
reducing their air flights all over the world, “following a reaction to
Art Basel in 2006. RAF / Reduce Art Flights which deliberately resonates
with both the Royal Air force and Red Army Faction acronyms comprises of
a series of leaflets distributed at significant art events and
exhibitions in an attempt to awaken the art world into considering
alternative travel options.”[15] Reduce Art Flights (RAF) is a simple
project asking us head-on to change and be more effective in our
everyday lives in respect of our use of air flights. Questioning the
systematic behaviour of the art world and its reliance on travelling to
conferences and art fairs. “Two decades of procrastination ensure that
only emergency measures now have a chance of preventing a climate disaster."
http://www.artsblog.it/post/2803/intervistando-la-crisi-con-marc-garrett-part-2

So, perhaps it is more about 'reducing' art flights - not ever going on
an 'art' flight.

Ruth and I have both made personal sacrifices 'our decision', no one
else's to not go on flights for six months and see how we approach
different ways in travelling, instead of choosing the easy option of
flying. As you know, we are pretty busy and so it will be ard for us,
but we wish to see what happens.

Like Gustav Metzger, we feel that each practice has its own set of
circumstances. By sharing this 'personal' challenge in an art context,
with the (media) art world and others - a realisation hits you, how
varied everyone else's perspectives and concerns really are, around this
complicated issue. Which I think is great, because the discuourse itself
can teach myself and Ruth, and anyone else who is interested, what it
means for others and how it relates relationally, especially in respect
of social relationships with the real world, and how it all connects
locally, personally and internationally when using infrastures to
support our art activities.

The other thing is, already we know that many have been reliant on
flight to further their, ahem - careers. One of the main problems I see
here is that, there are some who thrive by travelling the world to
conferences and having exhibitions everywhere, whilst there are those
who rarely travel in contrast to this. Perhaps, such a process of
re-evalution will allow the smaller groups or individuals to be seen as
equal in the future, if things change, doubt it ;-)

marc

<szpako at yahoo.com> wrote:
 >> Hi Ruth
 >> pretty much my every breath is dedicated to trying to blag an art
related trip outside Europe so I don't think I can do this one, or at
least not until I've pulled that off. However I am happy to promise
*never, ever* to drive anywhere in pursuit of my art...

<netbehaviour at netbehaviour.org>
 >> Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009, 6:07 PM
 >>

 >> Thanks Karen and Dimos for joining us so quickly and for setting
longer pledge deadlines; )

 >> For those who'd like to join us but have tickets already booked for
art-flights before 26th April, check out the comments:-
http://www.pledgebank.com/wewontflyforart2
http://www.pledgebank.com/wewontflyforart3

 >> Cheers
 >> Ruth

months we will find other ways to visit and participate in exhibitions,
fairs, conferences, meetings, residencies. We will not fly for
inspiration, nor to appreciate, buy or sell art.

 >> But only if 6 others will do the same AND replicate this pledge.
 >>
 >> This pledge is designed for exponential growth so if you persuade
another 6 people to do the same, within a year you could be one of
millions of people changing the way the artworld works. So sign up,
create a replica pledge and share your own experiences, observations and
arguments towards reducing art flights. Post a link to it in the comment
box so others can find their way to it.

 >> This is a public art experiment in the de-escalation of
carbon-fuelled, high altitude, high-velocity, global art careering. For
six months we choose to cover less physical distance, move more slowly
between destinations, to look futureward with more attention to the view
from the ground and the network, for ways to connect with others around
the world.

 >> Who can sign up to this pledge? Any individual involved in the arts:
artist (in the broadest sense), curator, art administrator, art
appreciator, gallerist, art critic, art historian, art academic, art
technician, art security, art transporter etc. Whether you currently fly
for art 50 times a year or never, your engagement will change things by
making your position in the artworld visible and by offering an
alternative perspective. If you work with others you may need to
completely revise your schedules and budgets and lobby for the right not
to fly.

 >> This is to light the blue touch paper of Gustave Metzger's Reduce
Art Flights campaign using the generative and viral capabilities of
social networks. We want to know more about the impact of air-flight on
the artworld (and beyond). We intuit that abstaining from air flight
will motivate and enable people (with more time, money, energy and
attention) to relate differently to their own local cultures and to
connect more imaginatively to other cultures.