[NetBehaviour] Do NOT Touch The Internet

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sat Apr 25 15:28:34 CEST 2009

Do NOT Touch The Internet
Citizens Ready For A Fight Across The European Union.

The privatization of the Internet could be decided in the next few
weeks. On May 5th, the European Parliament will vote on a package of
measures which will affect the national laws of all EU countries.

The European Parliament is about to give up our rights to an open access
to the Internet to protect the interests of Entertainment and
Communications multinationals. A civil campaign by organizations of the
whole European Community will be simultaneously launched tonight in
order to prevent the privatisation of the Internet and to defend the
democratic right to access to information and digital tools.

This campaign includes:

1 - An informative website explaining what the so called "
Telecommunications Package ", which is about to be voted on in the
European Parliament, is, why it is so dangerous for the future of
citizens. the impact on their daily economy, as well as useful
information and tools created by citizens for citizens, including open
letters, press releases, a blog and video material:
www.blackouteurope.eu/

2 - A letter to members of the European Parliament that it is being sent
by hundreds of organizations and citizens (one Euro Parliamentarian
recognized that they are receiving as many as 200 letters a day):
www.blackouteurope.eu/act/letter_to_meps

3 - An automatic system that allows citizens to send the letter directly
to all the Members of the European Parliament:
blackouteu.wordpress.com/directly-send-to-parlamentarians

4 - A system to monitor their vote in the matter:
blackouteu.wordpress.com/follow-their-vote

And

5 - A Europe wide casting for "grandmothers" to create an inter-European
viral video:
Fortheinternet.wordpress.com/

Take Part!

"Grandma, help them as they do not know what they are doing". On the
occasion of the vote in the European parliament of the Telecoms package
on May 5, a video contest has been launched on YouTube. This is to
remind members of the European Parliament that they need our vote in
June. The Internet still provides us with the tools to watch and judge
their actions. And we need this to continue.

Find out:

Do not allow the European Parliament to privatize the Internet! Act now!
Tomorrow it is too late!

We Still Can Put Pressure On Them - We Gave Them Our Vote - We Vote
Again In June. Remind Members Of The European Parliament! "

Spread the info