[NetBehaviour] Iconography of Climate Change.

info info at furtherfield.org
Mon Apr 27 12:30:04 CEST 2009

Iconography of Climate Change.

A digital silkscreen production workshop
Sunday May 10, 1-5pm
Studio 9:43 @ The Distillery, 516 East Second Street
South Boston, MA

Polar bears... Melting glaciers... Pine groves... Green arrows...
Blue skies...Stranded penguins... Al Gore...
Parched earth... Powerpoint... Sprouted seedlings... Reusable bags...

What are the images that we associate with climate change? Where are the
inspiring designs that might instigate change or revolution? This
afternoon workshop will use digital media and silkscreen techniques to
critically analyze, deconstruct and revision these lame icons of climate
change in the media.

We provide:
Silkscreening demonstrations
Tools for digital production and archiving
Tunes & greens (to use and to eat)

You bring:
T-shirts, bags, patches, pants and other printable materials

The end product:
an online archive (Creative Commons licensed)
an artists book edition

We will have a wall of images for inspiration and collage. If you won't
be in town for the event - send us your images! We'll add them to the
wall. All images from the event will be uploaded to an online archive
and made into an edition of artists books.

Lets come up with a new visual language that will help to change the world!

Space is limited, please RSVP: info at ikatun.org

If sending images by email, please use JPG form.

This is the mailing list for the below groups & projects:

The Institute for Infinitely Small Things (http://tinyurl.com/d9kt7t)
conducts creative, participatory research that aims to temporarily
transform public spaces dominated by corporate and political agendas.
Using performance and conversation, we investigate social and political
"tiny things". These have included corporate ads, street names, and
post-9/11 security terminology. The Institute markets dissent through
its research reports in the form of maps, books and videos. This
interdisciplinary group has a varied and open membership.

iKatun (http://tinyurl.com/cjz2yn) is an artist-run organization whose
mission is to foster public engagement in the politics of information.
iKatun runs experimental curatorial platforms, supports art projects and
publishes critical writing. iKatun was founded in 2000 as a 501(c)3
organization based in Boston, MA.

Platform2: (http://tinyurl.com/ccl3z9) Art and Social Engagement is an
experimental event series about creative practices at the intersection
of social issues. Platform2 is organized by Catherine D'Ignazio, Jane D.
Marsching, Savic Rasovic and Andi Sutton.

kanarinka (http://tinyurl.com/ctxqua) is an artist & educator based in
Boston, MA.