[NetBehaviour] My publish-on-demand works

dj lotu5 lotu5 at resist.ca
Sun Aug 16 00:07:57 CEST 2009

thanks for sharing this alan,

as much as there is talk about the changing nature of knowledge and
scholarship in the digital age, it sure does seem like most academics
are wedded to traditional publishing, given its credential adding status.

do these books sell well? i've considered publishing as a way to get
more people to read my work, and of course to build my cv as an emerging
academic myself...

do they all have isbn's?

how has your self publishing experience been in general?

  micha

Alan Sondheim wrote:

> My publish-on-demand works
>

> My publish-on-demand books from Blue Lion, Fort/Da, Blazevox, and Alt-X -
> Please consider ordering. The Blue Lion is just now coming out (over 500
> pages), and The Accidental Artist appeared a few months ago. These books
> are the soul of my work (such as it is); I'm close to them and I've been
> lucky that the publishers gave me free reign over content.
>

> Azure, Nature, Digital: Blue Lion
>
> Description - two sections: The first, with Sandy Baldwin, is on the
> phenomenology of the analog/digital, and the second is culled from the
> entire Internet Text, presenting literary/codework texts with peripheral
> philosophical content. I'm really happy that Blue Lion gave me the
> opportunity to do this, since it shows how my work hangs together and
> actually 'goes somewhere,' says something. Thanks to Peter Ganick and
> Jukka-Pekka Kervinen.
>
> http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/azure-nature-digital/7428344
> http://stores.lulu.com/bluelionbooks (download and print)
>

> The Accidental Artist: Fort/Da
>
> http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/the-accidental-artist/4965130
> http://stores.lulu.com/publicdomaininc
>
> This is a short and intense collection of writings around Second Life and
> the phenomenology of the virtual - I really love these texts, thanks to
> Robert Cheatham who went over them with me.
>

> Vel: Blazevox
>
> http://www.blazevox.org/bk-as.htm
> http://www.blazevox.org/catalog.htm
>
> These texts were produced in relation to West Virginia University's
> Virtual Environments Laboratory, and deal with motion capture, virtual
> modeling, and scanning. But the texts are codework themselves, and
> virtuality is embedded within them. Thanks to Geoffrey Gatza for this
> opportunity.
>
> .echo: Alt-X
>
> http://www.altx.com/ebooks/echo.html
> (goes both to download and Print On Demand)
>
> This was the first of the POD books, thanks to Ron Sukenick and Mark
> Amerika. The texts include the entire Nikuko Parable series (Nikuko and
> others appear throughout the other works as well) and other avatar-
> oriented texts.
>
> Please consider purchasing any of the above. Please note that all of these
> publishers have amazing publications (including a great book by Sandy
> Baldwin from Blazevox) and need your support in general. And thanks of
> course.
>
> (Finally, please note I have a paperback, The Wayward, available from
> Salt, which is beautifully typeset and covers a great deal of ground.)
>
> This is the end of the self-promotion material - apologies if I've
> offended anyone.
>
> - Alan

blog: http://transreal.org

gpg key: 1024D/7E8B7A2B