[NetBehaviour] need publisher, help, please reply backchannel

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Sun Feb 8 11:45:23 CET 2009

Hi Alan

Have you considered a non-academic route? Without an affiliation the
academic options available will be very limited. There are imprints that
will handle theoretical texts which do not function within academe, or
require that their authors have such affiliations. Journals like Art+Text
use to work like this and I believe that Semiotexte is still publishing such
titles, including people like Rainer Ganahl and Heiner Muller, both of whom
make work that touches on elements of what you do. In the UK we have
publishers like Black Dog (Bob and Roberta Smith, David Cotterell, Suzanne
Treister) and ArtWords (Charlie Gere, Michael Corris, myself). I am sure
there are other options as well.

Regards

Simon

On 7/2/09 22:19, "Alan Sondheim" <sondheim at panix.com> wrote:

> Hi - I'm writing a generic letter, apologies; I want to find a publisher for
> my
> theoretical work, and everything continues to fall through. At one point
> Minnesota was going to work with us - us being Sandy Baldwin, who created a
> framework for my texts - and Sandy wasn't able to continue on the project
> (he's
> fully supportive; it was a question of time) - Minnesota withdrew. If you have
> any idea or better yet, the possibility of publica- tion, please let me know.
> have a text out with Fort-Da but there's been no money for an ISBN number, so
> that's unadvertised; WVU might do something in the future with my texts on
> writing, if a series gets going, but that's speculative. The texts I've been
> writing have been on two main themes, and have been collected as such - one on
> the phenomenology of the analog and digital and their intertwining; and one on
> the phenomenology of the real/virtual and their intertwining. The latter uses
> Second Life as a model; the former is more purely theoretical. Neither need
> illustration.
>
> I feel ridiculous sending out a public letter like this, but I'm at wit's end
> -
> my writing might not be worth collecting for that matter, and I have no
> academic affiliation, so it's difficult to get anyone interested. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. Please write me backchannel or ignore this, and
> thanks for reading. (I know I write overmuch, but the mss have always been
> edited. Salt brought out a book of literary writing in 2004, and that was the
> last of it.)

Simon Biggs
Research Professor
edinburgh college of art
s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk/circle/

simon at littlepig.org.uk
www.littlepig.org.uk
AIM/Skype: simonbiggsuk

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC009201