[NetBehaviour] Games Art

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Feb 18 01:26:36 CET 2009

Hi Corrado,

One of the things I personally find interesting in this piece is the
contrast of real sound and the once virtual-visual plain. What is
unnerving for me is, the movement or the scanning which feels tranquil,
a natural scene; yet at the same time it is framed, trapped and the
movement of the panning across the frame seems caught, stuck and encased
within. I am aware of the illusion, and begin to wonder what is
elsewhere, but because the way that it is framed you know that there is
no outside just what you are presented. A suffocation, but a beautiful
one at that...

 >however using a game engine for anything
 > 'other' than play is a very subtle detournement of the nature of a game,
 > referring more to the virtual world itself and potential therein.

So, by changing the nature of what it was 'originally' meant to be,
changes its meaning.

If one takes or copies scenes or code from a traditional game-play
context, and then shifts it away from its original context with an
intention of detournement (whether subtle or not) is it this specific
approach or process which opens it up to the possibility of it becoming
an art work in its own right?

marc

 > Hey Marc
 >
 > In Arcadia (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) was produced in collaboration with sound
artist
 > Angus Carlyle and is somewhat atypical of what I normally produce. It
 > doesn't directly involve any glitching or blatantly anti-game, or
mechanism
 > exposing activity, for want of  better terms! So in that sense it is
hardly
 > a typical Corrado detournement, however using a game engine for anything
 > 'other' than play is a very subtle detournement of the nature of a game,
 > referring more to the virtual world itself and potential therein.
Machinima
 > guys and gals have been doing this for years, using game engines for
 > cinematic mis-en-scene so I can hardly claim any big idea there.
 >
 > The work is conceptually mostly Angus' in that it was his idea to examine
 > the notion of a constructed idyll. The audio work is totally constructed
 > from disjointed real world recordings. My experience shooting at
things in
 > simulated landscapes useful in trawling through the potential location
 > shoots from the virtual Middle East to Berlin, the Ukraine and various
 > fantasy worlds.
 >
 > I find the audio eerie and unsettling...not sure what that cutting or
 > digging sound actually is!
 >
 > However for me producing the piece was extremely helpful in getting a
grip
 > on negotiating game space. I produced and published a paper entitled ' In
 > Arcadia; Landscape filming in a toxic wasteland' that discusses the way a
 > game engine functions like a virtual residency and how the game
affects the
 > machinima artist/artist in much the same way as prior negotiations as a
 > gamer, inseperable personas in the process of production-with the game
 > engines internal logics a major actor

S It's good to talk

http://gamecritical.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=InArc&back=ProJects,