[NetBehaviour] On e-poetry for an online seminar at De Montfort University 2/23

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Feb 24 21:57:16 CET 2009

Notes on e-poetry for an online seminar at De Montfort University 2/23

If you go to http://www.alansondheim.org/howard/ you'll see the materials
I used - the talk was on e-poetry and virtual worlds. (Please note there
are references to the Odyssey show; again, it's only up for a few more
days - please check out http://slurl.com/secondlife/Odyssey/48/12/22 .)

the virtual, writing, inscription: intertwined dynamics, presencing,
virtual and material strata

the linearity of writing melds with the passing of time, constructs the
diegesis and the inhabiting of a text.

hypertext jumps you in and out of choice / reading and I think as a result
is problematic - you're making choices within a production of the text,
but you're taken out of the text to make the choices.

in virtual worlds, moving creates the dynamics of choice so that you're
seeing or hearing signposts and signs, as if within the word, within the
world, not within / without / within / etc.

in virtual worlds, languaging appears always dynamic and in any number of
modes - it's the pleasure of the living text (to the extent that anything
lives or survives in the virtual).

so there's a power and an incredible simplicity in working in Second Life
for example - the database and software does almost all the work for you.

the next steps are portals - productions between virtual worlds or sectors
of virtual worlds or real worlds; eventually all sorts of intrusions will
be possible.

there are also behavioral signs. if you look at sprayed1 or swirl or
vortices or writingmachine or kanji in the /howard/ directory, you'll see
all sorts of ways for writing in the sky. these use either intrinsic
motions scripted for objects, or extrinsic animation files scripted for
avatars. the animation files come from altered motion capture files.

most of the image files in the /howard/ directory contain texts attached
to objects. if you look at slscript.txt you'll see how these are done.

For the most recent texts, look in /howard/ at recent.txt - this contains
my 'pertinent' writings from the last 2-3 weeks; for some of them I used
the chat at DMU or chat within Second Life, as a compositional structure.