[NetBehaviour] a new Microcode: Vito Acconci's 'Seedbed'

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Jul 2 07:27:25 CEST 2009

Hi Paul,

The essence it seemed to me wasn't self-referentiality or touch (good unix
command too), so much as it was about targeting the ab/use/er, as well as
dirtiness. And code's always clean; even dirty code's clean, so there's
that barrier which is interesting and the question is - which for me
parallels the clean/dirty avatar phenomenology - how can that be broken
down psychologically - how can that sort of dis/comfort be recreated, or
can't it? With avatar, it's useful to create a kind of iconicity which
also functions on an indexical plain - texturing a human face or sexual
body for example. But code/ascii (pre-compiling which brings up, maybe
it's in the binaries that this stuff lies) has a different kind of clarity
and it's hard to see how dis/embodiment might function, even comfortably,
this way. The difference between code as medium (strict code) might be
clearer than ways of smudging it. Obviously I don't code, or code poorly,
so in a way I don't know what I'm talking about, and I admire what you're
doing - I'm just wondering about things like the body of code, the coded
body, the decoded body...

- Alan