[NetBehaviour] Why Net Art Software Should Be AGPL-Licenced

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Fri Jun 19 00:09:37 CEST 2009

Hi Rob,

Thanks for this post, makes a great case for using the AGPL. Coincidently
I was browsing about the AGPL the other day and have been considering
open sourcing some of my PHP code arts.

Thinking about it, it seems strange that I've made an exception in not
releasing the source for my code art which runs on the server. Perhaps
it's a feeling that it's more susceptible to attack if it's known
what's going on in there - a false concern I know. Or the fact that
it's only running on the server, so people don't actually need the
code to experience it. Then there's the fact that PHP seems to be
riddled with security pitfalls if you're not careful.

Still like you point out, the closed attitude removes freedom... The
freedom of Free Software is an important thing to me, it's close to my
ideals, so it makes no sense for me not to release my code. (the code
i've written which only runs on the jwm-art.net server, all my other
code is free).

Cheers,
James.