[NetBehaviour] Second Life (sent out today to various parties) (fwd)

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Mar 2 00:45:50 CET 2009

I took down my installation in Second Life today and accidently took out the
building/materials on the parcel next to it - I thought (assumed) I had full
permissions for my area - the installation area - only. I went in with Ian and
saw the mess; I think I'm going to stay out of Second Life at this point for a
while. I did cover up the gallery floor - I was going to install something else
there, and made walkways where needed, but some of the buildings next door and
the three cars are gone. This stuff isn't in my inventory; it was deleted. I
feel terrible about this - I had no idea that group edits went across parcels
and that I had rights elsewhere on Odyssey - I thought Sugar had given me full
permission on my land and that was all. But still it was my mistake. Gaz' piece
is still there, the Dorkbot amphitheatre and surrounds are there, and the stuff
in the sky is still there, but the white structure and floating cars are gone.
I know we had talked about opening up everything to anarchic sandboxing, but I
hadn't wanted this at all. If there's a way to roll back the sim, that would
probably take care of it - in which case someone else should take my objects
out - I don't trust myself doing that. In addition there are objects from
Beavis floating about - the building was deconstructed of course for the show -
and these are still generating particles, even though I took the scripts out.
The Museum structure itself is gone for the most part, as it was when I was
working there - I was going to put another work in (based on the work I had up
in the OCAD Hybrid area that Ian said would interfere with student work - I
wanted a place to show it, and was going to work with Selavy Oh there). I'm not
sure what else to say - I think I should also stay away from the Ning forum at
this point. The last thing I ever want to do is interfere with anyone else's
work, even given an anarchic situation.

So that's about it, a dismal end to the piece. Please pass this on to any
parties who should know about it.

Thanks, Alan, and apologies