[NetBehaviour] publication of my text - pdf conversion

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Mar 3 16:53:22 CET 2009

Hi Simon -

Why I'm not sure. He originally wrote a very effusive letter to me saying
he'd be glad to publish it and send it along. I only had the pdf copy and
sent it; he wrote back and said it was unusable and he couldn't save it as
anything else. I wrote back and said I was trying to get a decent conver-
sion (I did eventually). He wrote back and said he thought the manuscript
was ready for publication and since it wasn't he had doubts about publish-
ing it. He then wrote a second time and withdrew his offer completely. At
that point I was angry and wrote him a letter saying he shouldn't havemade
the offer in the first place, etc. etc. And that was that. The only thing
I can think of is that maybe he made or withdrew the offer on drugs or
felt he was over his head and panicked - I don't know. I haven't heard
from him since and don't want to - I spent three days on the conversion.

Anything else you might write him - he might be more open with you than
with me - Gatza, Geoffrey -- Geoffrey Gatza" <editor at blazevox.org> - but
it's dead in the water.

At one point Minnesota indicated they were probably going to do the book;
they withdrew when it became clear Sandy wouldn't be able to finish the
framework any time soon. Since I'd waited about a year on the framework, I
asked him about proceeding with the manuscript as is/was, and he agreed,
so we wrote Minnesota accordingly. The work stands as it is; I personally
doubt Sandy would have the time to go back into it, but it reads fine, if
a bit non-academic, In any case, at this point it seems I can't even get a
publish-on-demand press to do it!

My writing, as I said somewhere else, is hopeless in terms of any sort of
permanency (for books are slightly more permanent - not much - than files
on my webpage) - they're always on the verge of disappearance and I have
to live with that. I hate cross-posting stuff but it seems the only way I
can get any readership at all.

- Alan, and thanks for asking