[NetBehaviour] publication of my text - pdf conversion

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Tue Mar 3 17:33:38 CET 2009

Hmm...difficult to judge why he changed his mind. I don¹t know the guy
(never heard of him) and doubt writing to him out of the blue will be much
use. I guess we put that down to experience.

I publish all my own texts on my website (so long as they are not currently
published elsewhere and I am allowed to reproduce them). They seem to be
read a fair bit. I can see the IP tracks of users accessing the various
texts. They are mostly academic IP¹s and usually come in flurries from one
institution or another ­ so I assume the students have been given the text
as part of their reading list. 90% are US based. Works for me (no money of
course).

Regards

Simon

On 3/3/09 15:53, "Alan Sondheim" <sondheim at panix.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon -
>
> Why I'm not sure. He originally wrote a very effusive letter to me saying
> he'd be glad to publish it and send it along. I only had the pdf copy and
> sent it; he wrote back and said it was unusable and he couldn't save it as
> anything else. I wrote back and said I was trying to get a decent conver-
> sion (I did eventually). He wrote back and said he thought the manuscript
> was ready for publication and since it wasn't he had doubts about publish-
> ing it. He then wrote a second time and withdrew his offer completely. At
> that point I was angry and wrote him a letter saying he shouldn't havemade
> the offer in the first place, etc. etc. And that was that. The only thing
> I can think of is that maybe he made or withdrew the offer on drugs or
> felt he was over his head and panicked - I don't know. I haven't heard
> from him since and don't want to - I spent three days on the conversion.
>
> Anything else you might write him - he might be more open with you than
> with me - Gatza, Geoffrey -- Geoffrey Gatza" <editor at blazevox.org> - but
> it's dead in the water.
>
> At one point Minnesota indicated they were probably going to do the book;
> they withdrew when it became clear Sandy wouldn't be able to finish the
> framework any time soon. Since I'd waited about a year on the framework, I
> asked him about proceeding with the manuscript as is/was, and he agreed,
> so we wrote Minnesota accordingly. The work stands as it is; I personally
> doubt Sandy would have the time to go back into it, but it reads fine, if
> a bit non-academic, In any case, at this point it seems I can't even get a
> publish-on-demand press to do it!
>
> My writing, as I said somewhere else, is hopeless in terms of any sort of
> permanency (for books are slightly more permanent - not much - than files
> on my webpage) - they're always on the verge of disappearance and I have
> to live with that. I hate cross-posting stuff but it seems the only way I
> can get any readership at all.
>
> - Alan, and thanks for asking

Simon Biggs
Research Professor
edinburgh college of art
s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk/circle/

simon at littlepig.org.uk
www.littlepig.org.uk
AIM/Skype: simonbiggsuk

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC009201