[NetBehaviour] uk govt on copy right, left and don't know

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Mar 5 13:02:48 CET 2009

Hi Simon,

Yes, I agree they will have a tough time legislating it, but I think
they will blindly do it anyway in some awkward form. Then many will be
collared under their broad-sweeping, ill-thought out laws.

The UK governmnent are legislating many silly ideas at the moment,
mainly neurotic attempts (supposedly) based around stopping the influx
of terrorism.

marc

They are going to have a hard time making that stick, in some cases. It
is pretty clear that when you take somebody’s content and use it in
something else then that is a potential breach of copyright. We have
been there before with Scratch and sampling. However, a lot of mash-ups
do not involve the appropriation of other’s content but rather the
linking together of the various functionalities of things employing
protocols of some kind. Here I am thinking of how you can mash up things
like Flickr and Google Maps using GPS protocols. You are not
appropriating the two appplications in question but simply employing
their functionality to create a third potentiality.

However, another issue does become apparent here. Is the user created
content on web 2.0 sites like facebook copyrighted? If so then it would
be illegal to use this material in such a mash-up.

Regards

Simon