[NetBehaviour] Constraint City, a project by Gordan Savicic

Olga olga.panades at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 17:16:09 CET 2009

Constraint City is a project by Gordan Savicic that deals with the
invisibility of information flows and offers a very physical
experience of them:

The pain of everyday life

If electromagnetic waves are the new medium of city's communication
system, then our everyday life is unavoidable entwined by an invisible
information cloud, built upon wireless interconnected networks.
Albeit, we never experience access-restrictions by walking through the
streets unless we unsolicitedly want to enter a private space. But,
since the advent of wireless data networks and ubiqoutous computing,
private space has been shifted into an invisible layer. Closed
networks, such as WEP or WAP restrain access to this layer. Thus,
being expelled from the Internet can be a painful act and harm you to
a certain extend. The project “constrain city walks” let you
literally, feel this pain, by tightening a worn chest strap which is
embedded in an ordinary jacket. The stronger the signal of perceived
restriction, the harder your breath! Alternative routes through the
city are the only constrained conclusion. Thus it indicates an
invisible form factor of city’s policy and at the same time it
unhinges you between the decision of eluding or allowing the pain of
information society.

Website of the project:
http://www.yugo.at/equilibre/