[NetBehaviour] Is free really the future of gaming?

Corrado Morgana corradomorgana at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 14:14:07 CET 2009

There are so many issues with micropayments and alternative revenue schemes
within Videogames; lot's of different approaches also. I'll avoid the User
generated content bit and concentrate on adverts and revenue streams for
commercial 'free' games.

Modding and editing have been around since Wolfenstein in the early 90's and
has a direct effect on revenue and sales if the product is a commercial one.
Moddability increases a products longevity. I don't really wan't to go into
moddability and editability in properly free games as that's arguably the
same debate as all free, libre and OS software

Some thoughts....

little commercially backed free gaming is actually free....the idea is that
mimetic desire, customisation etc gains revenue. A bit like finding a free
bit of ground to play football in but needing the snappiest and expensive
pair of football boots for props and respect

from a players immersive point of view. In game advertising can be used
tactfully as long as it suits the gameworld, Burnout Paradise's city built
for racing has billboards that have streamed adverts- no suspension of
disbelief there. Battlefield 2142's billboards however jarred slightly, who
the hell is going to deliver advertising content to billboards in a warzone
with giant stompy tankbots everywhere. Enduring Popups in an interface could
be tolerable but I recall a free gaming company many years ago that released
older games for free with in-game advertising...X Wing fighters with burger
King ad's on their fuselage- not sure if this is just a fever dream of mine
though

One of the micropayment strategies employed in, say the upcoming Battlefield
Heroes, is that of costumes and other non game-balance changing artefacts.
There was a kerfuffle some time ago about paid in game weapons skewing the
game balance to those who have paid the extra.

Other online free mmo's have payments for extra content-specifically levels
and other narrative areas and levels which can't be accessed by the freebie
users, mechquest f'rinstance

'Free' games still have some revenue generation scheme behind them however
hidden, that's just fine as long as the quality isn't compromised and the
revenue generation doesn't affect gameplay...

...anyway rant over