[NetBehaviour] Is free really the future of gaming?

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Fri Mar 13 13:42:48 CET 2009

Hi,

I don't wish to speculate on the future of free gaming or such, but it
does suggest a future for (yes time for me to plug) my game, XorGramana,
and a possible cost to the user. I suppose there is advertising in the
game, but only for my website - but my website is not just for games,
but art - painting, drawing, audio, and some code here and there
(including some pieces approaching net-art territory). So it's a form
of advertising, perhaps - but the 'advert' is not in-game during play,
(although it could easily be incorporated as part of a puzzle in a map),
but like XorCurses, displayed on the menu/title screen.

Suppose I release the game with a very limited set of maps? The cost to
the user if they like the game enough, would be to design their own maps
so they may be incorporated into the game. That is the cost, the user's
time spent designing a new map or two (and this is nothing new) - and
it's not or should be an enforcible cost.

I would like if anybody on this list would be willing to design a map. I
am nearing a point where it will be possible, that is the behaviours of
objects are settling (ie I'm not changing them constantly), and the
code to implement those behaviours is nearly complete. I'm writing a
set of instructions which describe how to create a map file (which is
something you can do in any text editor) so as to (hopefully) encourage
map design from users.

Regards,
James.