[NetBehaviour] Situation Room by Hackitectura

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:56:07 CET 2009

I participated in Situation Room, invited by Pablo de Soto, the
architect/artist who was invited to show Situation Room at Laboral in
Asturias. Pablo is one of the founders of the group Hackitectura, they have
been workiing in the margins/borders of the alternative cartography, the
activism and the art, trying to conceive and plan  new spaces and new social
constellations. They have been the organizers of Fadaiat, a
festival/gathering held three times, two times in Tarifa, Andalucia, and one
time in Barcelona.
Situation Room was one of the first projects showed at the new Art space in
Asturias and it was a great venue with guests writers, theorics and artists.
Ana Valdés

http://this.is/Jenin
http://www.crusading.se

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Olga <olga.panades at gmail.com> wrote:

> “Situation Room explores how the combination of hacktivists or artists
> medialabs, participatory cartography and emergent free software, data
> mining and visualization technologies, could empower social action."
>
> ******************
>
> The project is not new and it might be well known already by the
> members of this list. However, I read an interview today with two of
> the members of Hackitectura and found it really interesting. I had
> heard of them but never really spent time looking into their work. The
> interview gives a very thorough insight of their work. I'm pasting
> some info here and some links. If you've seen it just ignore this
> mess.
>
> ******************
>
> The project Situation Room is the distillation of the experiences of
> Hackitectura.net since 2003 in the design and implementation of
> various temporary media-labs: "Pure Data Beta Rave" at the abandoned
> Ave train station in Seville; "Okupa Futura: Ciudad Disidente" (Future
> Squat: Dissident City) at the Centro Cívico Federica Montseny in
> Corvera de Asturias; "La Multitud conectada" (Connected Multitude),
> media-lab with satellite connection in La Rábida Huelva; or Fadaiat:
> freedom of movement, freedom of knowledge to both sides of the
> Estrecho de Gibraltar.
>
> Situation Room is the continuation of the temporary lab designed and
> implemented by Hackitectura called Emergent Geographies. Emergent
> Geographies mimics the control site of a nuclear power station and it
> hosted a week of conferences and workshops precisely on the
> surroundings of the abandoned Valdecaballeros nuclear power station.
>
> The project situation room simulates the procedures of a control room
> taking Asturias as a case study. Acting as a central hub for networked
> data the projects aims to explore the potential of the use of these
> media-labs as a motor for social movements.
>
> "Situation rooms are on the one hand, devices connected to complex
> contexts, where processes are non-linear. In order to take decisions
> and act in these situations, the different agencies (military staff,
> governments, business, police...) need to continuously monitor reality
> and establish a permanent feedback loop between it and their actions.
>
> The processing of sets of data extracted from complex systems needs
> new ways of processing and evaluation, which have to do with
> cartography and data visualization. On the other hand, situation rooms
> are only meaningful if we understand them as embedded in networks,
> which comprise at least two main areas, a sensors area (that captures
> data) and an actuators area, which allows for strategies and decisions
> to be performed.
>
> Our ideas where to use Situation Room as a space and time to discuss
> these issues, and particularly the possibility of turning them into a
> "multitudinar" device, that is the possibility to use them to empower
> [...]

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci