[NetBehaviour] Steam

clemos cl3mos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 10:55:59 CET 2009

Hi

Thank you for all these insights.
About new audiences: I've first heard of "The Path" from TV. I don't
remember if it was on Game One, a french TV channel dedicated to
video-games, or NoLife, another french TV channel which name describes
its programs quite well (it's mainly about videogames/computers, RPG,
and J-pop). Anyway, both channels are run by gamers and watched by
gamers, and usually have very few to do with media art (the most
"artistic" thing I've seen there were old computer demos). So I think
the gamers community is more curious than it seems... Even very rude
critisism shows an interrest in these kind of games (geeks are always
very vindicative with what is important to them: see forums about
comics; very "polarized" too...); it at least shows that the guy has
downloaded the demo, etc...
The fact that you manage to sell a game like The Graveyard is also
very positive: the audience is warned that buying it brings very few
extra features (ability to die, no extra levels.....) so it obviously
means the buyer wants to help the dev team continue making such
games...
Still the analogy with blockbusters vs indie games is true, but the
fact that both now share a same distribution model, that both can be
found on the same platform/network is very constructive and
encouraging. Of course nobody expects the revolution, but more choice
and variety equals more freedom. (or not: maybe the media art
community will get Steam and become addict to Counter-Strike...)

++++++++
Clément