[NetBehaviour] Open Letter - Call for major websites to opt out of Phorm.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Mar 25 10:40:40 CET 2009

Open Letter - Call for major websites to opt out of Phorm.

Open letter, sent to Chief Privacy Officers or equivalent at:

(i) Microsoft
(ii) Google / Youtube
(iii) Facebook
(iv) AOL / Bebo
(v) Yahoo
(vi) Amazon
(vii) Ebay

Dear Sir / Madam,

We are writing this open letter to you to ask you if you will act to
protect your users’ privacy.

We are asking you to exercise your ability to opt out of the Phorm
system, that is planned to be rolled out in the near future under the
“Webwise” brand by BT, Virgin and TalkTalk, the three largest UK ISPs.

You may already be aware of the very significant concerns being
expressed by many of your UK Internet customers about the interception
and processing of their data whenever it is viewed by customers whose
ISPs deploy the Phorm/Webwise system.

This was recently highlighted in a widely reported meeting held in
Parliament, hosted by Baroness Miller, at which Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the
inventor of the World Wide Web, made a firm stand against
technologies which ’snoop’ on the Internet, because of the highly
sensitive nature of those communications.

Further demonstrations of the worries about Phorm include over 21,000
members of the public signing a petition against Phorm’s deployment...

The Open Rights Group is a grassroots technology organisation which
exists to protect civil liberties wherever they are threatened by the
poor implementation and regulation of digital technology. We call these
rights our “digital rights”.

In 2005, a community of 1,000 digital rights enthusiasts came together
to create the Open Rights Group. Since then, ORG has spoken out on
copyright term extension, DRM and the introduction of electronic voting
in the UK. We have informed the debate on data protection, freedom of
information, data retention and the surveillance state.

more...
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/