[NetBehaviour] How I got my genes deleted.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Mar 25 13:10:58 CET 2009

How I got my genes deleted.

I've had my DNA struck from police records - now it's over to the rest
of you 799,999 innocents.

(Comedian) Mark Thomas.

Until Tuesday I was one of 800,000 innocent people in the UK who had
their DNA on the police database. Most of us had a swab sample taken on
arrest and our identifiable cell clusters have languished on police
files even if charges were dropped or we were found not guilty in court.

In 2003 I was arrested at a protest against the arms dealer BAE Systems
and charged with causing £80 worth of damage to a bus. Leaving aside the
irony that if any BAE Systems products only caused £80 of damage the
purchasers would sue for a refund, seven months later I found myself on
trial. After two days I was acquitted on the legal technicality of being
innocent. More important, the court found there was no evidence for a
crime having been committed in the first place. The experience left me
frustrated, with only a 20-minute comedy routine to take away the pain
of injustice.

more...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/19/dna-database-comment/print