[NetBehaviour] Ada Lovelace

Ghislaine Boddington ghislaine at bodydataspace.net
Wed Mar 25 17:36:16 CET 2009

MY NAME - Ghislaine Boddington
working within the group body>data>space
http://www.bodydataspace.net
with ResCen Middlesex University
http://www.rescen.net/Ghislaine_Boddington/index.html
and previously early digital sound and movement collective shinkansen
see here for shinkansen and Future Physical archive
http://www.connectivity.org.uk

INSPIRED BY
many many women across the years and we believe by even more of the
future generations to come !!!
in particular for us, the following women have been imperative as
mentors in our development of interauthored telematic performance

Thecla Schiphorst
http://www.sfu.ca/~tschipho//
for her work on embodiment, sense enhancement and the human side of
digital interaction. She worked as part of the original development
team of Lifeforms software, the computer compositional tool for
choreography and she has worked with Merce Cunningham since 1990
supporting his creation of new dance with the computer. She inspires
many with her work at Simon Fraser University Vancover and with her
international exhibits including Bodymaps: artifacts of Touch, an
pioneer touch based video body installation. We have been pushed by
her thinking and questioning while working with her producing the
second iteration of "whispers" for Future Physical (Cambridge 2003)
and producing Bodymaps into the ICA as part of Virtual Incarnations
Dance Umbrella 2000.

Hellen Sky
http://www.hellensky.com/hellen.swf
Digital choreographer and telematic dancer, writer and director, the
most experienced dancing woman in cyberspace !!! Hellen is the prophet
we all need to look to for her early work on telematics and technology
within the performance and installation space, using realtime data
generated by the body. Co-founder of Company in Space in Melbourne
(1992 - 2004) this group, who we worked with several times into the
ICA and other contexts, was an inspiration for all dance technology in
the 90s. We worked Hellen again recently for the Post Me-New ID Forum
in Dresden and here is an excerpt of her writing from Virtual Physical
Bodies catalogue, published by centre des arts d'Enghien-les-Bains,
Paris, for the body>data>space exhibition Oct 2008 - Jan 2009

"....Although there is no gravity here
The weight of time holds me to this virtual floor
As you wait for me to arrive in streamings of bits and bytes,
zeros and ones
In realtime, lag time, day for nighttime
To arrive at the unstable matrix of my new skin

The screen is not a surface but reach of my extended touch "

....Hellen Sky

Amanda Steggell

http://www.liveart.org/
http://www.liveart.org/motherboard/index.html

For early work as online band Nood, releasing the first internet CD in
early 1996. Inspirational work with Per Platou as Motherboard with
installations and performative live art happenings, mediated and
modulated by the intermediary influence of the net, often integrate
audience participation and interaction. For ongoing exciting emotive
projects, bringing sensitivities and real human presence to "dry" net
time projects.

plus here, in London +++, so many great women working tirelessly,
across all disciplines and the digital, often not getting much credit
over the years..................

Rachel Baker
Leanne Bird
Ilze Black
Larisa Blazic
Susan Broadhurst
Ruth Catlow
Anna Collin
Susan Collins
Kelli Dipple
Bronac Ferran
Julie Freeman
Ruth Gibson
Lizbeth Goodman
Karen Guthrie
Vesna Grandes
Delphine Gaborit
Lisa Haskell
Dianne Harris
Leslie Hill
Laura Henry
Mia Jankowicz
Janis Jefferies
Shobana Jeyasingh
Francoise Lamy
Sophia Lycouris
Pauline van Mourik Broekman
Helen Paris
Sarah Platt
Nina Pope
Hannah Redler
Gini Simpson
Annika Stark
Nicola Triscott
Claire Welsby
Sheron Wray
Marie X

who have we forgotten ? sorry........please do add

PS this list proves there is no shortage of women in UK for panels and
keynotes .......so how come so many conferences, panels, etc still
have so very few women involved .....?????