[NetBehaviour] Ada Lovelace

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Mar 26 18:01:26 CET 2009

Has anyone mentioned Katherine Hayles or Wendy Chun?

Katherine Hayles has written on digital writing and literature - more
importantly, I think, she's written absollutely brilliantly on the
philosophy of first and second-order cybernetics.

Wendy Chun has written on protocols, issues of control, and co-edited a
brilliant new media reader.

There are also -

Margaret Boden and Sherry Turkle - both made, I think, the most critical
contributions understanding of online psychology and phenomenology.
Everyone should read their work

Brenda Laurel - a brilliant writer whose work on theater and interface is
really critical to understanding online interaction.

Julia Kristeva - her theories of the chora and abjection resonate in
cyberspace - I'm thinking of Powers of Horror for example

Luce Irigaray's notion of fluid mechanics and its relation to the feminine
is more than descriptive of online phenomenology - see Speculum of the
Other Woman

Anna Munster - her book Materializing New Media: Embodiment in Information
Aesthetics, has been a touchstone for me

Ann Weinstone - check out Avatar Bodies, A Tantra for Posthumanism - one
of the very few sources really connecting Buddhist thought with cyber-
space

Mez - I know other people have mentioned her - but she has brought code
and body together in cyberspace in a totally new way

Sugar Seville - she ran the Odyssey Artspace sim in Second Life for years
and created one of the most dynamic online cultural experiments and
experiences I've seen

Stacy Horn and Theresa Senft - check out
http://www.terrisenft.net/writing/grandinterview.html

Stacy Horn - http://www.echonyc.com/~horn/bio.html - is a pioneer in
social networking - check her out!

Thanks for reading - Alan