[NetBehaviour] Furtherfield in Support of Ada Lovelace Day

Rachel Beth Egenhoefer list at rachelbeth.net
Fri Mar 27 18:46:31 CET 2009

Hi All!  I've had this on my to do list all week and am finally
getting to it... Some of mine have already been mentioned, but I hope
it doesn't hurt to mention them again...

MY NAME:  Rachel Beth Egenhoefer

5 WOMEN I THINK ARE AMAZING:

Katherine Hayles
I know she's been mentioned already... "How we became Post Human" is
one of my favorite books.  In addition to being incredibly smart,
ahead of the curve, able to make an argument and stand by it,  I can
say from personal experience that she is one of the most lovely
academics to meet in person.  I had the honor of working with her
when she was at UCLA and I was always amazed at how down to earth and
easy going she was.  Able to sip a soda, make jokes, and talk about
the news, and then go right into intense theory about the printing
press and reading novels on mobile phones.
FYI, she is now at Duke University - <http://fds.duke.edu/db/aas/
Literature/n.hayles>

Martha Rosler
In one of my very first video classes back in undergrad we watched
"Semiotics of the Kitchen"  and I was hooked.  Today some of my
students find this video boring (not enough whiz bang for them I
guess) and it frustrated me that they can't put themselves in the
time period that it was made and see it as an exploration of trying
to figure out what the medium was and what it could do.  In addition
to her early videos she has written and edited numerous essays and
books.  She is still making work in New York and teaching at Rutgers
University.

Sandy Stone (aka Allucquere Rosanne Stone)
Along with Sadie Plant who has already been mentioned, her texts are
some of my favorites.  "Split Subjects, Not Atoms; or, How I Fell in
Love with My Prosthesis" is an oldie but a goodie and I think way
ahead of it's time.  I think she brings an interesting addition to
the list as a transgendered individual.
Her semi-new website it pretty amusing... <http://sandystone.com>

Margaret Morse
"Video Installation Art: The Body, the Image, and the Space-in-
between" is a wonderful little easy she wrote that is in a book
"illuminating Video".  I ready this years ago and still come back to
it. I think that "video" should be dropped from the title as it
really speaks to a lot of different kinds of art forms and how we
view them, create them, display them, etc.  She of course has many
other texts as well, all written very intelligently but accessible.

Sue Gollifer
This email wouldn't fit in your inbox if I listed everything Sue has
a hand in.  To name a few she is either on the board/ a member of/
holds a position in ISEA, SIGGRAPH, CAA (College Arts Association),
Computer Arts Society (CAS), DACS (Design and Artist Copyright
Society), Lighthouse Brighton, and many many more, all while also
heading the MA in Digital Arts at the University of Brighton, working
with Digital Printmaking, writing, making, and yes she has pink
hair.  Sue is no-nonsense, tells it like it is, gets things done, is
amazingly successful, and yet still has a ton of fun, and is
incredibly kind and generous.
<http://artsresearch.brighton.ac.uk/research/academic/gollifer>

And lastly as one extra... I'd like to add Ada's mother - Anna
Isabella Noel Byron.  She is the one who raised Ada and encouraged
her to study math and science instead of literature.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Isabella_Milbanke>

Happy Ada Day/ Week!  And thanks Ruth and Marc for organizing!
Rachel Beth

Rachel Beth Egenhoefer
Assistant Professor, Design
University of San Francisco