[NetBehaviour] Where are the women today? Is feminism dead?

blakkbyrd blakkbyrd at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 27 22:27:33 CET 2009

Blakkbyrd

URLs

Bellebyrd
http://printaustralia.blogspot.com/

Blakkbyrd
http://blakkbyrd.blogspot.com/

On Women and Feminism

http://printaustralia.blogspot.com/search/label/feminist
http://printaustralia.blogspot.com/search/label/woman

http://blakkbyrd.blogspot.com/search/label/feminist
http://blakkbyrd.blogspot.com/search/label/women

=========

In Amsterdam I participated in If I Can’t Dance, I Don’t Want To Be
Part Of Your Revolution.  In many ways it was very disappointing. I
walked out of an "artist's performance" by a dutch male that
appropriated, colonised and belittled its orginal female author.

I realise that I can't answer your question without writing a small
thesis, which I don't have time to do. So some generalisations. The
movement was strong in the seventies and a lot of ground was gained.
I observe on a daily basis how this is being eroded away. We are
going backwards.

I think Australia still leads the world in many respects, but this is
largely unrecognised.   My European experience was that the women
there are around 40 years behind but are unaware of this.

An example, there are no public toilets for women in the Netherlands,
this enforces an unofficial curfew on women, unless you are prepared
to urinate in an alley, you have to be in-house outside of business
hours.

blakkbyrd
back in Oz