[NetBehaviour] Free Expression Assault Continues at UN Human Rights Council.

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 14:15:05 CEST 2009

I retain the right to treat all religions with equal and utter disdain.

As it is impossible to believe in evolution and remain uncritical of core
religious belief the logical outcome of this resolution being passed would
be the outlawing of presenting the case for evolution and therefore the
outlawing of scientific argument. If the UN was to accept this resolution it
would return us to the middle ages. Let¹s hope they are not so dumb as to
get rationality and compassion mixed up.

Regards

Simon

On 30/3/09 11:36, "marc garrett" <marc.garrett at furtherfield.org> wrote:

> Free Expression Assault Continues at UN Human Rights Council.
>
> Freedom House condemns the UN Human Rights Council for undermining the
> universal right to freedom of expression by once again passing a
> resolution that urges members to adopt laws outlawing criticism of
> religions.
>
> The "defamation of religions" resolution, introduced by Pakistan on
> behalf of the Organization for the Islamic Conference (OIC), passed
> today by a vote of 23-11, with 13 abstentions. Muslim nations have been
> introducing similar resolutions since 1999, arguing that Islam-the only
> religion specifically cited in the text-must be shielded from unfair
> associations with terrorism and human rights abuses.
>
> "These countries are using the UN to expand and bring legitimacy to
> their frontal assault on freedom of expression," said Paula Schriefer,
> Freedom House advocacy director. "This assault starts at the level of
> domestic blasphemy laws present in many OIC countries, which are
> routinely employed to harass and imprison religious minorities,
> political dissenters and human rights advocates, and is elevated to the
> international level through resolutions at the UN."
>
> more...
> http://newsblaze.com/story/20090327170413zzzz.nb/topstory.html

Simon Biggs
Research Professor
edinburgh college of art
s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk/circle/

simon at littlepig.org.uk
www.littlepig.org.uk
AIM/Skype: simonbiggsuk

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC009201