[NetBehaviour] Transformative Works and Cultures.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Mar 30 15:19:30 CEST 2009

Hi Rob,

 >even has an article on the Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition licencing
problem, an issue that I thought I was alone in having a historically
contextualised opinion on. ;-)

Well, it is particularly specific.

When you say (on your blog) "...If every work is derivative anyway then
there should be no special penalty or responsibility attached to works
that recognise this."

An Interesting issue, because with Internet art (or net art) - much of
its practice in conceptualising its voice and expressions through the
active or conscious proecess of being derivative sometimes, many times
even; as part of its presence and meaning, via its networked awareness.
This of course changes the meaning or intention of an original piece of
work and also takes it to another level. In fact, it could be argued
that a remixed, or a work, rework that extends into a new or perhaps
'critical' art context is, as valid as the original work which had a
certain ingredient taken from it.

If we are talking about appropriation and forms of De'tournement
(probalby me here), there is an interesting article called 'On the
rights of Molotov Man: Appropriation and the art of context' By Susan
Meiselas and Joy Garnet.

http://www.firstpulseprojects.com/joywar.html

marc

<marc.garrett at furtherfield.org> wrote:
 > > Transformative Works and Cultures.
 > >
 > > Transformative Works and Cultures (TWC) is an online-only Gold Open
 > > Access international peer-reviewed journal published by the
Organization
 > > for Transformative Works copyrighted under a Creative Commons
 > > Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

Licence fail!
(http://www.robmyers.org/weblog/2006/03/26/sampling-artists-and-nc/)

But the journal looks great! It even has an article on the Dungeons &
Dragons 4th edition licencing problem, an issue that I thought I was
alone in having a historically contextualised opinion on. ;-)

- Rob.