[NetBehaviour] How to contribute to [Netbehaviour] ada lovelace day

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Mar 30 15:28:35 CEST 2009

Hi Anne,

 >I wouldn't consider myself being active in media or net arts, rather
activism. Does that still count?

I think that it should and it does, much thanks :-)

 >Have to say that I was a bit stunned to find myself with mails to this
 >list listed by Google. Wouldn't it be nice to let people know before
 >they are invited to join the list?

Are you saying that, if a member on Netbehaviour suggested your name for
the Ada Lovelace project, that they should of asked for your permission
first?

marc

Hi,

I wouldn't consider myself being active in media or net arts, rather
activism. Does that still count?

In any case I did an Ada Lovelace blog post - in German -
(http://annalist.noblogs.org/post/2009/03/25/ada-lovelace-day-star-simpson-and-donna-metzlar)

about

* Donna Metzlar, activist and (one of the) driving force(s) with the
Genderchangers http://www.genderchangers.org/ and Eclectic Tech
Carnival, http://eclectictechcarnival.org/

and

* Star Simpson, who was arrested at the Boston Airport (and later
convicted) for "wearing a hoax device", a selfmade LED application (see
http://boingboing.net/2007/09/21/mit-student-arrested.html). She
described herself in one sentence as "I'm an inventor, artist, engineer,
and student, I love to learn, build, and do" and here are some of the
things she built: http://starbur.st/portfolio/

Have to say that I was a bit stunned to find myself with mails to this
list listed by Google. Wouldn't it be nice to let people know before
they are invited to join the list?

best
Anne

Ruth Catlow schrieb:
 > > Hi Ann,
 > >
 > > Thanks for subscribing. Last week, in support of Ada Lovelace Day*, we
 > > invited all women who work in media arts and net art to join the
 > > Netbehaviour list and tell us about their work and that of other women
 > > who have inspired them in their own practice.
 > >
 > > The call is open for a week between 23rd and 30th March (at
midnight) at
 > > which point we will compile the list and feature it on Furtherfield.org
 > >
 > > Posts are welcome in any length, format and frequency and we are not
 > > worrying about repeats or gaps. We want to know why you are inspired by
 > > the people you are inspired by. It's especially good if you can include
 > > links so that if we don't know the work we can go and explore for
 > > ourselves.
 > >
 > > If you want to view all the other inspiring posts before you make your
 > > own you can check out the Netbehaviour archives
 > > http://www.netbehaviour.org/pipermail/netbehaviour/
 > >
 > > **Ada Lovelace Day -bringing women in technology to the fore
 > > http://findingada.com/blog/2009/01/05/ada-lovelace-day/
 > > sign a pledge to blog about inspirational women in tech on 24th March.
 > >
 > > Hope this helps,
 > >
 > > best things
 > > Ruth
 > >
 > > http://furtherfield.org