[NetBehaviour] for ada lovelace

dj lotu5 lotu5 at resist.ca
Tue Mar 31 04:19:49 CEST 2009

I was so excited to see this, as I'm always filling in my students about
ada lovelace, who seems to get left out somehow of our "introduction to
computing and the arts" class, often, or only brielfy mentioned...

So I signed up for the list. But I'm not a woman, I'm transgender. I
don't identify as a man or a woman, but I guess you could say I'm mtf,
in permanent transition. So, if you want a submission from a femme
transgirl, here goes...

my name - micha cárdenas

i'm interested in the interplay of the body, technology and biopolitics.
i did a performance called Becoming Dragon in dec 2008. just finishing
up my mfa at ucsd, just started working in sheldon brown's experimental
game lab.

url - http://technotrannyslut.com | http://secondloop.wordpress.com

inspired by... so many women, but i guess here are the main ones... many
of whom are already probably mentioned but i can add why for me.

avital ronell - http://as.nyu.edu/object/avitalronell.html - philosopher
of technology, for being my friend and mentor, ever so briefly, one
summer at EGS, and a massive inspiration who turned my whole idea of
knowledge and thought and ways of approaching politics upside down and
inside out. i can't even describe how much i owe to her...

Allucquere Rosanne (Sandy) Stone - http://sandystone.com - another
philosopher of technology, another amazing woman who i met at EGS who
was so supportive of me throughout my 15 immersive performance of
Becoming Dragon, being more than generous, providing guidance, wisdom
and grounding, and for thinking through the questions of online worlds
and gender so long before i even started considering them, and for so
generously providing me with personal advice about transitioning that
was so valuable to me.

adriene jenik - http://adrienejenik.net - networked performance artist,
creator of distributed social cinema - adriene is one of the main
reasons i am even in grad school and decided to dedicate myself to being
an artist and has also been so, so generous and giving throughout my
years working with and knowing her. her warmth along with her deep, deep
knowledge of new media art has guided me so much. she has been one of
the main people in my life to really educate me about feminism.

orlan - http://orlan.net/ - for not being afraid to find the limits of
merging the body and technology, orlan is the artist who has inspired me
most. i think her work is a shining example and challenge to artists'
commitment everywhere.

donna haraway - another massive inspiration for how i think about
politics and technology and the body who's thinking on interspecies and
transspecies relationships helped me develop my own ideas in my work.

beatriz da costa - bioartist, interspcies collaborator -
http://www.beatrizdacosta.net/ - for making so much inspiring bioart,
for the brilliant, brilliant term Tactical Biopolitics, for her guidance
in one short studio visit about Becoming Dragon which helped me reframe
my approach to the whole project, and which has turned out to me a great
suggestion.

elle mehrmand - http://visarts.ucsd.edu/something-happening/?author=18 |
http://myspace.com/assemblyofmazes (that's her band, but she's working
on a website soon) -my closest and dearest friend right now, a brilliant
new media performance artist and beautiful, strong, brave ally.

subrosa - http://cyberfeminism.net/ - for their brilliant linking of
witchhunts, queer and gender variant persecution and feminine knowledge
production in Yes Species.

probably not surprising, but its my personal list...

--

micha cárdenas
performance / social media / public culture

C(a)lit2 Researcher, http://bang.calit2.net
CRCA Researcher, http://crca.ucsd.edu
MFA Candidate, UCSD, http://visarts.ucsd.edu
MA, EGS, http://egs.edu