[NetBehaviour] How to display code-based art...

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Wed Sep 9 18:58:00 CEST 2009

On 6/9/2009, "Rob Myers" <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:

>"Behind the bricks, the source code."
>
>I'm now thinking about ways of combining Situationism and hacking.
>Pychodebugging using the wrong source code or tools. User-Derive using
>the wrong manual or attempting tasks that the software isn't designed
>for. Hacking is Derive anyway...

Taking a binary executable for platform a and disassembling it as code
for platform b, before re-assembling it (for platform c?), might be the
most straightforward starting point for this approach - but unlikely to
produce anything even remotely executable, at a guess.

>And then there's the Beat approach; code cut ups, although some editing
>will be required to remove syntax errors.

Say you have a program which cuts up code... (written in CL - it could
even cut itself up!?!?) A balance needs to be struck between where the
editing needs to take place - with the cut up program, or with the human
who edits.

Using Markov chains to re-assemble might be a good idea. if/while
expressions could be interchangeable, etc. Syntax-highlighting
text-editors might be a good place to look into for ways of finding
boundaries to place cuts in the code which are enough to make the job of
editing the reassembled version not too painful.

james