[NetBehaviour] Open Sailing

Olga olga.panades at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:41:00 CEST 2009

I just found this project that some of you might know and I found it
brilliant. It's a brave undertake trying to work out in detail a
possible future..

www.opensailing.net

"The best way to predict our future is to invent it."
(Alan Kay 1971)

Open Sailing aims to design and invent future lifestyles to overcome
any possible natural and manmade disasters stimulating people’s
ingenuity and sense of solidarity. Might it be global warming or
energy conflicts, we are living in a time where we are sniffing the
‘Apocalypse’, finally realising our human part of responsibility as
the earth is crumbling. 2012 is a year when a collection of
apocalyptic events are rumored to happen. We are taking 2012 as an
ideal dystopic symbol we design for. 2012 is tomorrow, we must design
quickly using these constraints and invent bootstrapping DIY
technologies.

Open Sailing method is to convert apocalyptic threats into design
constraints. From our compiled set of threat maps, we found that
oceans are the safest locations. Ocean survival architecture became
our new starting point, but we need to go further than surviving : how
can we live together in this new fluid configuration and remain a
hyper-connected intelligent social being? We are trying to make a
truly “open architecture” : pre-broken, under-defined, reconfigurable,
moveable, pluggable, organic, fluid. Can we reach a harmonious dynamic
state of interdependence with each other and the earth? Is this the
next step of civilization progress? Will we dissociate our concept of
progress with infrastructure and metropolis?

CONTRIBUTE

Model made by Martin gautron : martingautron.com + Hiromi Ozaki :
hiromiozaki.com + Adrien Lecuru + Cesar Harada : cesarharada.com ¬
Photography direction, Cereinyn Ord : cereinyn.com

--
Olga P Massanet