[NetBehaviour] Derek Jarman's birthday would be today! Now yesterday ; -)

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Feb 1 01:03:34 CET 2010

Derek Jarman's birthday would be today! Now yesterday ;-)

As a mark of respect to Derek Jarman, I am posting some links to some of
his works which have inspired me...

Derek Jarman (31 January 1942 – 19 February, 1994) was an English film
director, stage designer, artist, and writer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Jarman

Jubilee (1977 film), a cult film directed by Derek Jarman. It stars
Jenny Runacre, Ian Charleson, and a host of punk rockers. The title
refers to the Silver Jubilee of Elizabeth II in 1977.

"When Queen Elizabeth I asks her court alchemist to show her England in
the future, she’s transported 400 years to a post-apocalyptic wasteland
of roving girl gangs, an all-powerful media mogul, fascistic police,
scattered filth, and twisted sex. With Jubilee, legendary British
filmmaker Derek Jarman channeled political dissent and artistic daring
into a revolutionary blend of history and fantasy, musical and cinematic
experimentation, satire and anger, fashion and philosophy. With its
uninhibited punk petulance and sloganeering, Jubilee brings together
many cultural and musical icons of the time, including Jordan, Toyah
Willcox, Little Nell, Wayne County, Adam Ant, and Brian Eno (with his
first original film score), to create a genuinely unique, unforgettable
vision. Ahead of its time and often frighteningly accurate in its
predictions, it is a fascinating historical document and a gorgeous work
of film art." http://www.criterion.com/films/736

Jubilee was one of those films which influenced my own life greatly. The
spirit of the movie connected to me personally and (dare I say it)
spiritually, in respect of it triggering off various inner feelings
which before laid ungrounded. From then on, art, punk and everything
else fell into place...

Here is a snippet of Jubilee on Youtube
BEYOND THE ENDLESS FUTURE CITY part 1 (Amyl Nitrate Lesson 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmidfMeK7AE&feature=related

Escena de Ballet de Jubilee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEn5ldq8O4

Amyl Nitrate - Rule Britannia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlL0D5BF2Ok&feature=related

--------------------------------------

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (music video directed by Derek Jarman).
"The Queen Is Dead", starts with a soundbite from Bryan Forbes' 1962
British film The L-Shaped Room. Another instance of Morrissey's
fascination with '60s British cinema. The soundbite is Courtneidge's
character nostalgically singing the World War I song "Take Me Back to
Dear Old Blighty".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz5IFl7uCis

--------------------------------------

The Devils.

"The Devils is a 1971 British horror film directed by Ken Russell. It
stars Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave. It is based partially on the
1952 book The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley, and partially on the
1960 play The Devils by John Whiting, also based on Huxley's book."

|Derek Jarman was responsible for the film's production design. The film
is a dramatised historical account of the rise and fall of Urbain
Grandier, a 17th century French priest executed for witchcraft."

"A highly controversial film which has a history of censorship. The film
is a strong condemnnation of religious institutions such as the Catholic
Church and organized religion in general. This, combined with its
unrelentingly graphic depictions of sex and violence, has led to its
history of censorship.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devils_(film)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devils_(film)

I remember reading The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley, an amazing
book. Oh yes, at a young age the film itself blew my mind...

The Devils (Ken Russell, 1971)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Xgm1u_SF4

That's my fave selection, any other suggestions?

Wishing all well.

marc