[NetBehaviour] Crisis at the ICA: Ekow Eshun¹s Experiment in Deinstitutionalisation

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Feb 11 11:57:05 CET 2010

Hi Simon,

I agree with what you are saying here. As usual, the artists are pushed
aside like 'economical fodder' for the patriarch, in this case by a
ego-centric, journalist who is onto a good thing through, exploiting
sensational contexts whilst promoting his own position/status. The other
dodgey thing here is that Eshun, is actually quite high up within the
Arts Council himself, making decisions as a high-profile board member.
This surely has an influence on the outcome regarding how much support
they get from the Arts Council...

Another aspect of the article I found curious was Eshen's idea of
exploring new territories which may relate to our own way of working,
some of the processes he has proposed seem to be influenced by media art
culture's own strategies in survival, as well as similar to festival
behaviours - I fear that all it means is that he will steal many of the
contemporary/imaginative ideas as part of a strategy to put himself and
perhaps like Nicolas Bourriaud's top-down related solution for moving
forward. Thus, exploiting the ideas of smaller groups like ourselves to
promote those who are already considered safe or viable items for
profile rather than content or 'real' change. So, supporting a
modernist, capitalist and neo-liberalism agenda in the guise of supposed
'radicalism'.

The power positions remain in place but the interface changes, just
another brand to sell...

marc

The main point of the article is that Eshun has sought to agrandise
himself and his position as a pundit in the media at the expense of the
ICA and the artists that support it and who are in turn meant to be
supported by it. This is what happens when journalists take over
cultural organisations. A bit like bankers taking over industries. The
new BBC arts blogger Will Gompertz was recently the focus of some
alarmed discussion as it became clear BBC Online has appointed a
journalist and marketing person as their key arts commentator. It could
be assumed that the UK arts scene is being taken over by such people.
The ICA was the original “artists’ run” space in the UK but has somehow,
over the past 60 years, transformed into a Hela cell. Perhaps it needs a
little chemotherapy – but I don’t think Eshun is part of the cure. For
him the art is irrelevant.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs

s.biggs@ eca .ac.uk  simon at littlepig.org.uk  Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/
Research Professor   edinburgh college of art   http://www. eca .ac.uk/
C reative I nterdisciplinary R esearch into C o L laborative E
nvironments  http://www. eca .ac.uk/circle/
E lectronic L iterature as a M odel of C reativity and I nnovation in P
ractice  http://www.elmcip.net/