[NetBehaviour] Olga Glukovska, Kedrick James

Jim Andrews jim at vispo.com
Wed Feb 24 07:46:30 CET 2010

OLGA GLUKOVSKA
http://vispo.com/dbcinema/olga

KEDRICK JAMES
http://vispo.com/dbcinema/kedrick

The poet, musician, performer, and scholar Kedrick James visited me for a
weekend in July 2009 from Vancouver. I'd been reading his doctoral
dissertation titled Writing Post-Person: Poetics, Literacy and
Sustainability in the Age of Disposable Discourse. We talked about it and
many other things and then his partner Olga Glukovska came over from
Vancouver to collect Kedrick and go portaging a series of lakes on Vancouver
Island. They would return in five days.

Kedrick left me his laptop computer and said use any images you want in
dbCinema. Being interested  in his dissertation, I used some passages from
it that I turned into images, along with images of Kedrick, to make
http://vispo.com/dbcinema/kedrick

As it turned out, there were also some fascinating images of Olga on
Kedrick's computer. Olga is a student of visual arts and makes interesting
books. But she's also a fashion model. And the pictures of Olga were from a
Vancouver fashion shoot. Really striking images. I'd been wanting to do some
dbCinemizing with images of faces. If you've looked at any of the previous
series, you can see how it's kind of a natural to work with faces in
dbCinema. I think there were about 6 images. So I took those and created
some more from them by zooming in on some of them at various zoom levels. I
ended up with 15 or 18 images. From those I created
http://vispo.com/dbcinema/olga .

But I didn't have Olga's OK to use these images. They were just too good to
not use, so I'd gone ahead with it. When Kedrick and Olga got back from
their portaging (Olga was doing OK, Kedrick had a sore back) I showed them
both the Kedrick and Olga series. Olga didn't even want to look at them, at
first. Probably didn't want the awkwardness of disliking work using images
of herself. But she had a look, in the end. And, thankfully, she liked them
and gave me her permission to use these. So did the photographer, Miles de
Courcy, and the designer of the clothes Olga's wearing.

The dbCinemation of the Olga images introduces a darkness that wasn't
present in the original photos. Part of that is literal, with the black
background I normally use in dbCinema stuff. The images are literally darker
than the original photos. But the more interesting darkness is different.
They're very bad and very good. Slightly demonic and angelic, in turns.

In any case, I was very happy with the results in both these series for my
friends Kedrick James and Olga Glukovska.

ja