[NetBehaviour] newly (re)born heliozoa.com

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Nov 1 11:38:47 CET 2010

Hi Jason,

here is the start of the interview :-)

I will add all the bio & info bits another time...

Marc Garrett: You have been making artworks for many years now and one
of my early experiences with your work was with Frostbite2
(http://www.furtherfield.org/jnelson/frostbite2.html). A net art piece
featured on Furtherfield in 2001. I recently revisited the work and
found it strangley hypnotic, the soundwork seemed equally important.
"Jason Nelson makes claims that he isn't a musician. I am deprived of
the physical ability to play an instrument, he says: I only manipulate
preexisting sound. And yet, one of the most striking things about his
new work [...] is the spacious use of sound." Lewis LaCook.

If we can put aside what type of art you are making, genre-wise for the
moment. I would first of all, like to discuss about your use of and
combination of three strong elements - poetry, image and sound. To me,
they all significant and contributing factors in making a whole work. I
am wondering whether your creation of sound in your art and your
relationship with it, has changed since LaCook's article way back in 2003?

..........I will discuss poetry and image with you once you have
answered this question, if that's ok.

Wishing you well.

marc