[NetBehaviour] You Can't Spell Fungible Without Fun

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Nov 10 20:32:07 CET 2010

this also relates to aura and the istinction  between analog and digital
phenomenologies, and what's tagged where; it's possible to make a digital
editor as an artwork and tagged as such (for example an editor of inter-
ferences and substitutions); it's also possible to consider a digital art-
work as basically functional since any pixel can be substituted for any
other (and at what point does the artwork lose its originary distinction?)
- the fungibility of cultural works has to do with setting; it's also
possible to quote them (Sherrie Levine or re-enactment stuff like Mark
Tribe today) as discourse - issues also arise in relation to forgeries or
copies - take a fake Vermeer - what makes this less valuable to the viewer
- what makes an unsigned copy if WinX less valuable etc. - Macs are flawed
and brilliant here, bridging analog hardware and digital signatures, as if
you can't have one (their) without the other (theirs) -