[NetBehaviour] Simon Biggs a revisionist of his own history?

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 10:15:35 CET 2010

The original domain was http://hosted.simonbiggs.easynet.co.uk/
That address was given to me by Easynet in 1994 when I assisted them in
setting up their CU-SeeMe server. I'd had a Demon domain from 1992
(http://www.babar.demon.co.uk/) but used it for experimenting (with a lot of
technologies we have all forgotten) - I wouldn't call what I had there a
site. I left Demon when they were bought by Thus.

The easynet is still at that location but some years ago I mirrored it to a
domain I control myself at a root url I have had for many years and used to
mask the actual url (that's littlepig). The original site went live in 1994
- can't remember when during that year. Great Wall was online in early test
versions from early 1995, although it is dated 1996 (that was it's
completion date - it took two years to make). Book of Shadows was the first
piece I made live online. That would have been 1994. I started sticking the
"at this site since xxxx" on in 1995 - like you have on a shop front. It's a
bit twee - but seemed like a good idea at the time. Perhaps I should drop it
if it going to be a sore point for some?

I have seen this same email about the provenance of my website on some other
list serves. This might be an ironic art provocation but it could be a
concerted attack. Happens some times...

I remember the flame-wars of old. There was a French artist (name?) who
released a CD of flame war songs about a decade ago, with various artist's
parodied in the lyrics. I was one of them. Infamy is better than nothing. In
the end those things come to be viewed with affection.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs
s.biggs at eca.ac.uk  simon at littlepig.org.uk
Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Research Professor  edinburgh college of art
http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research in CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/
Centre for Film, Performance and Media Arts
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/film-performance-media-arts