[NetBehaviour] Long Live the Web.

dave miller dave.miller.uk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 17:53:29 CET 2010

well said ruth

There are many parties who want to make money out of the internet -
through walled gardens, highway tolls etc, and I agree with simon that
this is probably the Murdoch agenda, back to a broadcast/ propaganda
model. I think the way they want it is for access to the big money
sites (facebook, ebay, bbc, murdoch sites) to be fast, and to the rest
of the web slow (like 56k modem speed). Eventually they hope we'll all
give up viewing and publishing to the small independent web sites as
they'll be too slow and practically unusable.

The Ed Vaizey plan is really really scary, and is a clear example of
government acting against the interests and needs of the people.

Maybe there are agendas beyond money here as well, that information is
power, and the Internet as communication revolution, parallels with
the church smashing up the printing presses in the middle ages.

Once they've ruined this one, we can always start another Internet -
or can we? Would this be possible - as we have to depend on existing
telecommunications networks?

dave